Re: ssmtp and cron

Mark and Jason, thanks for the quick responses!

Harig, Mark A. wrote:
> You might try setting the 'MAILTO' environment
> variable in your crontab file.  Please see the
> crontab(5) manual page for details about setting
> environment variables:
>
>   $ man 5 crontab

I considered that before, sorry that I didn't mentioned it.
The header of my crontab file reads like this:

# DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE - edit the master and reinstall.
# (/tmp/crontab.2052 installed on Fri Jan  3 18:18:02 2003)
# (Cron version -- $Id: crontab.c,v 1.6 2001/09/19 17:09:55 corinna Exp $)
SHELL=/bin/bash
MAILTO=bobzien@ikg.uni-bonn.de

I tried
MAILTO="bobzien@ikg.uni-bonn.de"
as well, both failed.

Jason Tishler wrote:

> I have found that some SMTP servers do not accept mail with unqualified
> domain names.  This may be your problem.
>
> In the past, I have patched cron to "send mail" via procmail.  Now, I
> just use exim and configure it to accept unqualified domain names from
> localhost.

I'm not sure if I understand that correctly - can I use exim to run as a
SMTP-server on my machine? So could I change my ssmtp.conf to use my
machine as a SMTP-server and exim forwards it to the machine where my
mail is collected (a POP-server)? I'm a bit confused here. Usually I use
two servers to handle my mail: mailout.uni-bonn.de as SMTP-server for
outgoing mail and mail.ikg.uni-bonn.de as POP-server for incoming mail.
So is it possible to configure exim that way that I use it between cron
(or whatever) and the SMTP-server?

I thought the problem lies in the combination of cron and ssmtp. Both of
them work fine separately. For example the following command entered on
the command line
/usr/sbin/ssmtp.exe -fbobzien@ikg.uni-bonn.de bobzien@ikg.uni-bonn.de <
input.txt
with input.txt as an empty file sends an empty mail to myself. Putting
that line into crontab results with the errors
(can't open the smtp port (25) on mailout.uni-bonn.de..) and (unable to
connect to "mailout.uni-bonn.de" port 25..) in the event log.

Sorry for that lengthy posting but I'm a little bit lost with this problem.

Matthias

--
Matthias Bobzien
E-Mail: bobzien@ikg.uni-bonn.de