Cygwin causes 0x00000024 Stop Error (BLUE SCREEN)

Charles Wilson cwilson@ece.gatech.edu
Mon Nov 25 13:18:00 GMT 2002

Peter A. Castro wrote:

> And, just to provide a counter example: I always run Norton AntiVirus
> with automatic / background scanning enabled.  I generally have to,
> because of infected machines at work which probe the network whenever we
> get hit with the latest rash of viruses :(.  I've done all my Cygwin
> installs/updates with AntiVirus enabled and never had a BSOD (I'm running
> NT4 on fairly stable hardware and up to date drivers).  So, it is
> possible and if something does fail, it more like a driver fault than an
> application fault.

Yes, it HAS to be a "driver" fault (more accurately, it CANNOT be an
application fault).  Applications run in ring 3 (call it "user mode" --
but it's a protected execution mode enforced by the x86 processor
hardware).  drivers and such (like virus scanners) run in ring 0 (call
it kernel mode) along with the ntos kernel.  If you get a BSOD, it is by
definition a ring 0 fault == kernel mode == drivers/virus-scanner/kernel
problem.  [AFAIK, ring 1 and ring 2 are not used by MSWin]

Now, as far as Norton vs. McAfee, the setup.exe BSODs have most often
been reported wrt McAfee.  I only recall one report from a year back or
more where Norton was the culprit.

--Chuck