Problems downloading and installing the basic package

Hi,

I have Cygwin installed at work and I am now trying to install it at home. Since I have a slow connection there, what I usually do is download the package at work, put it on a Zip or a CD-ROM, and then install from disk at home. But I am having problems with the latest version of the installer. Whenever I try to download the basic package (without changing any options, because I have no idea how) I seem to end up with a (different) incomplete set of files. I've tried several download sites, but the result is always the same: after installation Cygwin doesn't function because some necessary files are missing (such as the bash shell or some DLL). I read the documentation, but it doesn't explain much about the installer and its options. Could someone please help me?

In addition, if I try to install to the root directory, the installer always crashes. (Yes, I know that installing to the root directory is discouraged, but because of the strange notation that Cygwin uses for drive letters, installing to a directory other than root causes problems with some programs, such as Active Perl.)

Thanks,
Dmitry