Re: HOME set to / [Was: cygwin-1.3.16-1]

On Wed, Dec 04, 2002 at 10:46:42AM -0000, John Morrison wrote:
> > From: Chris Game
> >
> > In an earlier post, John Morrison  wrote:
> >
> > [...]
> > - now how do I get out of this 'None' group
> > that I'm apparently in, and into 'Users' or even 'Administrators'?
>
> Sorry, I don't know.  I'm in 'None' too.

'None' (resp. it's native version) is the name of the default group each
user is in, if the machine isn't a domain member machine.  Otherwise
the group typically changes to (the native version of) 'Domain Users'.

On non-domain machines, there's no way to change that.  Your primary
group is unchangeable set to 'None'.  Each other group you're member
of is just a supplementary group, to use a UNIX idiom here.

So, to reflect the situation of a "normal" user exactly as it's given
on NT, the passwd entries would look like this:

 Administrator:*:500:513:...
 admin2:*:1001:513:...
 user1:*:1002:513:...
 user2:*:1003:513:...

and the related /etc/group entries:

 None:*:513:
 Administrators:*:544:Administrator,admin2
 Users:*:545:Administrator,admin2,user1,user2

However, what's fixed on NT isn't necessarily fixed for Cygwin.  As long
as you are really a member of a group, you are allowed to change your
primary group membership to that group in /etc/passwd by hand:

  user1:*:1002:545:...

Note that this has only an effect in Cygwin.  And note that the
user's guide contains a description what you can change in

  http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/ntsec.html#NTSEC-RELEASE1.1

HTH,
Corinna