Re: cygwin official logo ?

> Please grant me this one conceit. Linus likes penguins. I like
> otters.

Me too.

> If there is going to be an animal mascot for cygwin it should be an
> otter.

Figured those FurryMuck people might be able to help -- they like to
draw cartoon animals. How about contacting this guy:

http://www.tigress.com/lutra/art/images/bw/ltoyster.gif
http://www.tigress.com/lutra/english/commissions.htm

This guy's "furry" persona (not sure of the terminology of this subculture) is an otter, so most of his art is otter-ish.

(FYI "lutra" or "lutrinae" is the name of the otter subfamily) --- which explains this guy's FurryMuck character name.

From his website:
> So you are interested in a picture ? I`ll see what I can do but first
> some information about my commissions:
>
> What I do exactly:
>
> I mainly draw anthropomorphic characters which means a creature part
> human and part animal. This type of art is called furry art or as I
> said before anthropomorphic art. I am specialized on drawing otters.
> Although I can do other type of character too as you can see below.
> So if you still interested in a picture read on further.

----------------------------

Otter info (for the truly obsessed; e.g. cgf <g> ). Ya know, it's really scary the sort of stuff that fills your bookshelf/bookmarks when you're an engineer (e.g. detail oriented and trivia obsessed) and many of your friends, coworkers, and their spouses are biologists, animal behaviorists, or medical types. Sometimes I scare me.

Or maybe it's just that I was reading "Ranger Rick" magazine and collecting World Wildlife Fund "Animal Cards" when my kindergarten playmates were into "Highlights".

I still scare me.

Domain: Eukarya
Kingdom: Animalia
Phylum: Chordata
Subphylum: Vertebrata
Class: Mammalia
Order: Carnivora
Suborder: Fissipedia
Superfamily: Arctoidea
Family: Mustelidae (Weasel)
Subfamily Mustelinae: martens, weasels, wolverines,
ferrets, polecats and minks
Subfamily Melinae: badgers
Subfamily Mellivorinae: honey badger
Subfamily Taxidiinae: American badger (sometimes listed as
a genus within the Melinae subfamily)
Subfamily Mephitinae: skunks (since 1997, now listed as a completely
separate family - http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mustelidae)
Subfamily Lutrinae: otters

13 otter species, listed here:
http://otternet.com/species/
http://sciencebulletins.amnh.org/biobulletin/biobulletin/story832.html

However, otter classification -- and even naming -- is not straightforward, and depends on whether you use mitochondrial RNA classification, or include the subgenus name instead of the genus name, or use the subspecies name instead of the species name (or both!). Generally, the following is more-or-less accepted (circa 2001). Alternative names that are in widespread use -- or which were common prior to 199x and still show up in webpages and textbooks -- are listed below each one.

* Aonyx capensis (Cape Clawless otter)
Paraonyx congica
Paraonyx microdon
Paraonyx philippsi
* Aonyx congicus (Congo Clawless otter)
* Aonyx cinerea (Oriental Small-Clawed otter)
Amblonyx cinerea
Micraonyx cinerea
* Enhydra lutris (sea otter)
* Lutra canadensis (North American River otter)
Lontra canadensis
Barangia sumatrana (later split into its own species)
* Lutra felina (Marine otter, or sea cat)
Lontra felina
* Lutra longicaudis (Neotropical otter, Southern River otter,
La Plata otter, Brasilian otter)
Lontra longicaudis
L. platenisis
* Lutra lutra (Eurasian otter)
Lutra vulgaris
Lutra whitleyi
* Lutra maculicallis (spotted-necked otter)
Hydricits maculicallis
* Lutra perspicallata (India Smooth-Coated otter or Smooth otter)
Lutrogale perspicillata
Lutra tarayensis
* Lutra provocax (Southern River otter or Chilean otter)
Lontra provocax
* Lutra sumatrana (Hairy-nosed otter or Sumatran otter)
Barangia sumatrana
* Pteronura brasiliensis (Giant otter)
Lutra Brasiliensis

Other fun otter links----