Re: Cygwin causes 0x00000024 Stop Error (BLUE SCREEN)

On Sun, Nov 24, 2002 at 10:16:23AM -0600, you [Daniel Armbrust] wrote:
> Every time that I run the cygwin installer program, when it finishes
> downloading packages, and moves to the install step, it bluescreen
> crashes my Windows XP machine (service pack 1) with the following error:
>
> STOP: 0x00000024 (0x001902FA, ..., ...) (I didn't take the time to write
> down the last to parameters)
>
> Upon reboot, when I run through the install process again, it works
> fine, since the packages have already been downloaded.  After the
> install is complete, all of the cygwin apps work fine.
>
> Here is what I think may be a cause (but I know nothing about cygwin
> internals, so its just a guess):
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=195857
>

> The reason that I suspect that this is a cygwin installer issue, and not
> a driver issue, is that this machine never crashes with ANY other
> software.
>
> Furthermore, I have an NT 4.0 machine (service pack 6) at work, with a
> completely different hardware setup (so all drivers are different) and
> again, while it NEVER crashes like this with any other software, the
> cygwin installer causes a STOP error EVERY TIME it is run.

I've been seeing this as well ever since I installed XP SP1. It is pretty
reproducible, happens on almost every cygwin setup.exe run (as long as you
download non-trivial amount of software).

I tried uninstalling SP1, the bug went away, reinstalled it, bug came back.
I uninstalled again - went away, re-installed in safe mode, came back.

I opened an incident case on this with Microsoft, but they insisted I have
to reproduce it on a clean XP install (as if I hadn't wasted enough time and
had stock computers lying around for that sort of thing). I was unable to
get it to create minidump - AFAICT I have all the relevant options enabled,
but it just won't create one on BSOD. My best guess is that XP does not risk
writing to disk when NTFS is involved in the crash.

As to virus software - I used to use Panda, but now it is completely
disabled.

What I found out just recently, is that when I close down ALL processes form
task manager (leaving just the ones I know OS absolutely needs) and stop all
the services, the install does not BSOD, but that can just mean more handles
are free when setup runs. I didn't try to isolate it further.

-- v --

v@iki.fi