Re: impure_ptr/Mingw and cygwin

Christopher Faylor wrote:

[one more for the archives]
On Mon, Nov 25, 2002 at 04:51:38PM -0800, Andrew DeFaria wrote:

If this were really so then why, if I don't specify -I/usr/include I get getopt.h not found?!? I should be found in /usr/include/getopt.h no?
/usr/include is for cygwin apps. If you add -I/usr/include you subvert the normal operation of -mno-cygwin by including cygwin-only header files which is *specifically* what -mno-cygwin is avoiding. The system include area for -mno-cygwin is /usr/include/mingw.
Understood, however Peter did say:

If you add the "-v" flag to you compile flags, gcc will dump the list of directories it searches for include files. In this case it would be:

../../include
/usr/include/mingw
/usr/include
/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-cygwin/2.95.3-5/include
/usr/include/mingw
/usr/include/w32api

So mine was more of a question: If as Peter says /usr/include is the 3rd library searched, why isn't getopt.h being found? (Another side question would be why is /usr/include/mingw listed twice?).

In any event, after reading up on this problem in the MingW mailing list I find that I am not the only one with this problem. Seems that -liberty does indeed have the code for getopt but there is no mingw header file that defines the interface. My solution ended up being define the getopt API by hand and put it in my own mksf.h header file. Ugly but it works.
Did you send a bug report or patch to the mingw mailing list?
Didn't really want to have to sign up for yet another account on another mailing list, yadda, yadda. It seemed to me that they were aware of the problem already so why should I bother to report a problem that is already known?