RE: Cygwin causes 0x00000024 Stop Error (BLUE SCREEN)

> >Anti virus software?  Was McAfee or Norton (but esp. McAfee) running while
> >setup.exe was executed?
> >
> >I *always* disable McAfee before running setup.  Every time I forget, I
> >get a bluescreen.  Minidump analysis shows that the fault is in fact
> >McAfee -- which runs in kernel mode -- and not setup.
>
> I use Norton AntiVirus (2002) and I *never* enable automatic / background
> scanning. I always stick to manual scanning. Mostly I apply it to email
> attachments and occasionally to file downloads when I don't know or trust
> the source.

I second that emotion 100%.  Email scanning: great.  Manual scanning: fine, but
start it just before you leave for the weekend, and hope it's finished by
Monday.  Automatic scanning: prepare to lose data, in addition to magically
converting your 3GHz P4 into a 386SuX.  Norton, McAffe, they're all just as bad.

If one insists on having the autoshredding er I mean autoscanning on, make
*absolutely* sure your scanner package as up-to-date as possible.

--
Gary R. Van Sickle
Brewer.  Patriot.