Cygwin DLL 1.3.14-1 "cygdrive flags" registry entry

Hello.

I am trying to prepare a series of cygwin dependant applications for
distribution.
The available documentation says all that is required is to distribute the
cygwin1.dll
with the apps. However when I tried this I had corrupted data returned from
a read call.

After much experimenting I determined that when cygwin is installed there
are some registry settings
that effect the behavior of the library.
I determined that the following registry entry will make my problem 'go
away'

 Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

 [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions]

 [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin]

 [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\mounts v2]
 "cygdrive flags"=dword:00000022

Can anybody point me to some documentation which explains the "cygdrive
flags" entry:
What flags are available?
What effect they have on application behavior?
Can they be set programmatically?
etc...

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks