Re: ls problem

On Mon, 18 Nov 2002, Carlo Florendo wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I've been using cygwin for 3 years now and last week, I downloaded the
> latest cygwin from one of the mirrors and everything in well except for one
> problem.  I noticed that whenever I type 'ls -', the output gets delayed for
> a few seconds.  This never happened to me using the old cygwin.  I checked
> the man pages of  ls and I didn't find a clue on how to make its output
> faster.
>
> I got to the /bin directory and did a 'time ls -l' and these are the
> results.
>
> real    0m3.942s
> user    0m0.249s
> sys     0m0.530s
>
> This is my current bash version :
>
> $ bash --version
> GNU bash, version 2.05b.0(5)-release (i686-pc-cygwin)
>
> Then, the current ls version:
>
> $ ls --version
> ls (fileutils) 4.1
> Written by Richard Stallman and David MacKenzie.

> The fileutils version is "fileutils-4.1-1".
>
> The queer thing is that the fileutils version of my former cygwin package is
> exactly the same as with the new one.
> Any help to fix the problem?
>
> Thanks a lot!
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Carlo Florendo
> Astra (Philippines) Inc.
> carlo@astra.ph

Carlo,
It would have been more helpful if you had provided your cygwin version,
but even without it I could venture a guess...  The latest versions of
cygwin have ntsec on by default, and doing 'ls -l' will result in the user
lookup in the /etc/passwd (and /etc/group) file.  An easy way to test that
is to time 'ls -ln' and see if it's faster.  Another test would be to
*temporarily* turn off ntsec (by adding "nontsec" to your CYGWIN
environment variable and reloading cygwin1.dll by exiting all running
cygwin processes).  I say temporarily because ntsec is actually a very
useful feature to have on, and this is suggested only as a means to find
out whether it's the culprit.  You can restore the state by either
changing "nontsec" to "ntsec", or leaving it off altogether, as it's the
default now, and reloading cygwin1.dll again.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

"Water molecules expand as they grow warmer" (C) Popular Science, Oct'02, p.51