.rhosts on W2K w/o ntsec

Hi,

after updating to the latest version of Cygwin (1.3.15-1) including all other modules, rshd wouldn't accept my .rhosts file anymore because it's owned by the wrong owner. The error message is "permission denied (bad .rhosts owner)."

The reason for this is obvious: I turned off ntsec, thus the .rhosts file is owned by whoever starts rshd (probably SYSTEM because I run it as a service). I'm running Cygwin on W2K/NTFS; my CYGWIN environment variable is "ntea nontsec".

Would it be possible to add something to the CYGWIN environment variable which prevents 'ruserok()' from verifying the owner of the .rhosts file? Or, even better, would it be possible to store the file's owner and group in the extended attributes as well and use this in case ntsec is turned off?

The reasons why I don't want to use ntsec are:

- I'm running Cygwin on a laptop and have to be part of the administrative group in order to prevent closing down everything to login as Administrator every time I plugin to client networks, etc. The "Run as..." option in W2K is only covering half of the issues I'm coming across. As a result, all Windows files are created with the admin group as owner while Cygwin creates files with my login as owner.

- I'm sharing the home directory between Cygwin and Windows applications and Windows applications create new files with rather stupid permissions when inheritance is turned off (as is the case with Cygwing directories with ntsec turned on)

When I forget to re-set the owner and permissions settings before running "cvs commits" or similar, the chaos is complete....

Cheers,
--Christian