Re: problem with bash

You do if you an argument list that is to large.  try using just
ls with 7000 files and see what happens. :-)

On Thu, Nov 14, 2002 at 10:58:53AM -0800, Andrew DeFaria wrote:
> Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
>
> > Well, if you really want something equivalent to 'ls *', you'd need to
> > do something like
> >
> > find . -maxdepth 1 \( -name .\* -o -print \) | xargs ls
> >
> > The "-maxdepth 1" is to not descend recursively into directories, and
> > the "-name .\*" is to avoid listing hidden files/directories (which
> > would not be matched by the '*' glob). The "-type f" is actually
> > wrong, as '*' will match directories as well.
> >
> > Also beware that ls may be an alias, and xargs will run the actual
> > executable in the path...
>
> Huh?!? Just type ls! You don't need anything else and certainly not
> something as complicated as what you propose.
>

> --

Slowly and surely the unix crept up on the Nintendo user ...
Wayne Willcox                          I will not eat green eggs and ham
wayne@reliant.immure.com                     I will not eat them Sam I Am!!
A wise person makes his own decisions, a weak one obeys public opinion.
                -- Chinese proverb