Re: Strip Cygwin

On Mon, Nov 11, 2002 at 11:21:54AM +0100, ralf.truijen@philips.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is it allowed that we strip the Cygwin installation and distribute only the files (make environment related) that are needed to compile our sources?

Yes and no.

Yes, you can take just the binary stuff you need.

No, because you must provide the *sources* of all GPL'd applications you
distribute to your target audience due to licensing restrictions.  This
includes especially the sources of the Cygwin DLL itself.  There is an
option to buy a special Cygwin license which gets you around this slightly.
That's typically only useful if you're planning to distribute a
proprietary application but that's not what you want, apparently.

Other than that, you can only circumvent this licensing problem by not
distributing the build environment at all.  Just point your customers to
the cygwin web page in that case.  In theory that should suffice most
needs.

HTH,
Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.