Re: ANNOUNCE: mrxvt - a tabbed rxvt hack for Win32 (in development)

Thanks for the info. The reason I have no real need to subscribe to the list is plain and simple - I can browse through the mailing-list archives and keep up with things every month or so, using any browser I may have nearby and without any special configurations, accounts, whatever. ;)

(I like things simple, and flooding my mailbox with cygwin, cygwin-xfree and around a dozen SourceForge projects I deal with daily is definetly _not_ simple, so I just keep a set of bookmarks to the Web archives...)

As for screen, I've been trying it myself for a year now - I've compiled practically every new revision that pops up on freshmeat.net, with more or less the same results as Rafael - the screen size remains fixed, which I believe (from some stracing around) to be a termcap issue, and therefore one of the most arcane aspects of Unix I have studiously avoided thus far - and believe me, it's taken quite an effort to avoid dealing with termcap since my vt220 days :)

W11 is an application-level mapping of X11 primitives to Win32 that does some pretty arcane things in terms of window management. I'm having some issues with it, even when dealing with rxvt as a standalone app:

- it creates a _separate_ Win32 window class for every rxvt (of the form rxvt<hex_thread_id>) which is not a very "clean" Win32 approach, even though it works.
- it does not allow for "clean" termination of rxvts (I'm one of those afflicted with the "hung rxvts" bug when I shutdown Windows)
- I cannot re-build rxvt on my setup, which is very heavily customized. I might get myself a temporary "clean" machine to reinstall Cygwin and rebuild, but I tend to keep to my laptop.

Nevertheless, if someone were brave enough to implement something like what I'm doing on top of "plain" X11, it might be ported to W11 like rxvt was, and I could discard my (still rather flaky) VB hack.

I remember seeing "alternative" terminals five or so years back (back in my SunOS days), but most of them seem to be extinct or had their features merged into rxvt. If someone knows of a tabbed X11 terminal (other than konsole and gterm, which use a _lot_ of extra stuff) that uses only vanilla X11 and implements tabs, let me know. I'll probably take a look at porting it to Cygwin rather than pursue this avenue.

Thanks,

Rui Carmo

Soren Andersen wrote:

[posted and mailed -- sorry, no Subject: in 1st sending, this is
re-sent to Rui and the Cygwin List]
On Sat, 02 Nov 2002 22:29:36, Rui Carmo  wrote:

>Hello all,
>
>I've been hacking together a "multiple" rxvt (essentially a tabbed
>window holder that lets you switch between multiple rxvt windows).

Sounds REAL good.

>The project page is at
>
>http://na-cama.com/rcarmo/index.php/Projects/mrxvt
>
>And even though it is not available (yet), I'd like to have some
>feedback on it (essentially food for thought). I'd also like to know
>if anywone is working on:
>
>- porting screen to Cygwin (it compiles great, but installation needs
>a lot of tweaking)
>- a "full" tabbed terminal that runs in Win32 (using W11, like rxvt).

There's been discussion of that recently on the Cygwin List. See the
bottom of this msg for a pasted copy of the first article i have in that
thread.

BTW I do not know what "W11" is. Maybe most rxvt users do, I have only
recently been using rxvt sometimes.

Also please note this recommendation re:

>Please reply to me directly, since I am not subscribed to the list (my
>mail traffic simply cannot cope with another mailing-list...)

IMHO you should be reading (subscribed to) the Cygwin List, Rui. For one
thing it is of course a breach of standard List netiquette to ask for
help or post a proposal for discussion and then ask for off-list replies.
Netiquette aside, there's a practical reason. Suppose, as could very well
happen, that in 3 weeks somebody reads this List and comes across your
message, and this someone knows something that might help you or might
pertain to your project. They might even know a little thing that will
help you break through a deadlock you find yourself in. But this person
is busy and thinks to themselves "I don't know who Rui has heard from
[off-List], probably he's got all the input he needs by now, I won't
answer this...". You lose.

I understand your problem with List traffic, I have long struggled with
same. I have the solution for you. Go to www.gmane.org (the Gmane
project) and set up Gmane server in your favorite NNTP news reader
software. Subscribe to the Cygwin List as one of the Newsgroups
(psuedo-newsgroups we might say, actually) once you have downloaded the
long list of available ng's. Pay careful attention to Gmane FAQs and
instructions. Set your newsreader if possible to use a custom header
field "Archive:" with value "encrypt" particularly. (On Windows, "Xnews"
does fine). This protects your email address from spammer harvesting; you
MUST use your valid, unmunged email addy to post to Gmane ng's (contrary
to popular practice on open USENET ng's).

IMHO any project which brings more powerful or stable, and flexible
terminal - console choices to Cygwin can add significant value to Cygwin.
Your project sounds like it has good potential. I hope you get the help
you need from wherever, and I hope you follow my recommendation and
subscribe to the Cygwin List using Gmane so that everyone here can follow
your progress and learn if they care to.

   Regards,
    Soren A