RE: Looking for cygpcre.dll

Scott,

At 15:12 2002-10-31, Scott Prive wrote:
This (and other) dll's get installed by programs that need it. You do not need to worry about picking dll's -- it's all automatic by setup.exe
It is true that package dependencies ensure (or are intended to ensure) that any given package, when installed, will have all its prerequisites installed, too.

However, if one is writing code that needs a library that is available in the Cygwin stock distribution but which is not used by any other installed package, then the supplying package must be manually installed in order to be able to compile and link against the entry points supplied by that library.

If I understand you, you just want the dll, and you're not terribly curious to know what package it comes from. So, one answer is run SETUP, select "something", and verify you have the file.

If you need to know exactly which package provides this, I cannot answer you.
The Cygwin web site includes a package search feature (for the slightly patient) that will show which packages include a file desribed by a regular expression. That search capability is available at <http://cygwin.com/packages/>. A link to this page is available on the main Cygwin page (<http://cygwin.com/>) under the label "Setup Package Search."

In Janos' case, searching for ".*libpcre.*" reveals that it is part of (guess what?) the "pcre" package:

-==-
<http://cygwin.com/cgi-bin2/package-grep.cgi?grep=.*libpcre.*>:

Found 1 matches for .*libpcre.*.

pcre/pcre-3.7-1 Perl Compatible regular expression library
-==-

Searching for "pcre.dll" yields these additional packages:

-==-
<http://cygwin.com/cgi-bin2/package-grep.cgi?grep=pcre.dll>
Found 4 matches for pcre.dll.

pcre/pcre-3.7-1 Perl Compatible regular expression library
python/python-2.1.1-2 An interactive object-oriented scripting language
python/python-2.2-1 An interactive object-oriented scripting language
python/python-2.2.1-1 An interactive object-oriented scripting language
-==-

-Scott

Randall Schulz
Mountain View, CA USA