All Windows-created files seem to have mode -rwxrwxrwx

Sorry is this has been asked 1000 times, but even though there are many references to permissions setting in the FAQ and User guide, nohting explains the following.

THE FACTS: I have "Windows XP Professional Ver 5.1 Build 2600 Service Pack 1" and Cygwin cygwin_1.3.14-1 gotten and installed yesterday, with settings "CYGWIN = `ntea'" and the disks are NTFS, e.g.:
e: hd NTFS 70001Mb 13% CP CS UN PA FC DATA

THE PROBLEM: All is well except that all Windows-created files seem to have permissions -rwxrwxrwx. Including text files created by say Notepad. All are "executable".

I have no problem with reading or chaning permissions from inside Cygwin. Also files created from Cygwin have reasonable permissions: -rw-rw-rw-. It is just file created from Windows applications that are always executable.

Any clues? Thanks!

PS: I do not want to bother with 'ntsec' - security is not an issue at the moment.
PS2: I have used previous versions of cygwin on a number of NTFS-disked machins and never seen this.