RE: MAKE - problem with small/capital letters in filenames

What versions of 'make' are you running on DOS, Linux, and Cygwin?
Different versions have different behavior.

As requested at http://cygwin.com/bugs.html,
please include the output of 'cygcheck -s -v -r'
(as an attachment).  This will provide anyone
looking at your question with information
such as which version of Cygwin you are
running and which version of 'make' you
have installed.

> The message: no rule to make 'hello.d'
> The makefile:
>
> all:
>         $(CC) $(CFLAGS) hello.c -o hello.exe
>
> include hello.d
>
> %.d: %.c
>         @ $(CC) -MM $(CFLAGS) $< > $@

The above 'makefile' works on my installation
of cygwin:

$ ls makefile hello.c
hello.c  makefile

$ make -f makefile
makefile:4: hello.d: No such file or directory
gcc -MM  hello.c > hello.d
gcc  hello.c -o hello.exe

It might be more evident what is causing
your problem once you have included
your 'cygcheck -s -v -r' output (as an
attachment).