Re: Question about the ls command

Stan,

If that's so, then you're not invoking "ls" directly or you're not invoking Cygwin's ls. (Both of those invocations work find for me, by the way.) Perhaps there's an alias, a function or a script intervening that's \defined under the assumption of a simpler (or simply an alternate) kind of invocation.

Assuming you're using BASH, use this command: "type -a ls" to discover what is being invoked when you issue an "ls" command. Make sure that either "/bin/ls" or "/usr/bin/ls" is in the list of "ls" commands. Then get rid of the incorrect or inappropriate ones, either by removing their definitions (if its and alias or shell function) or re-ordering your PATH so the proper "ls" is chosen instead of the bogus one.

Randall Schulz
Mountain View, CA USA

At 08:56 2002-10-30, Stan Horwitz wrote:

On Wed, 30 Oct 2002, Cliff Hones wrote:

> The 'man' command is your friend.  If you run "man ls" you will
> find many options for controlling the output of ls, including
> --full-time, which is probably what you need.

Sorry, I should have stated that I checked the man page. When I do
something like "ls -ls --full-time" or "ls -ls -F --full-time" I get a
syntax error.