Re: Cygwin Setup.exe..

Joe,

At 06:18 2002-10-30, Siebenmann, Joe wrote:
Cygwin is pretty nice, but I think I have a way you can vastly improve Setup.exe.
You're not alone. Are you ready to roll up your sleeves?

When people install the Cygwin environment, they have a "compile target" goal in mind. They want to compile a Windows program, or a Palm program, etc.
This premise is quite false. Many people use Cygwin for purposes other than program development or for programming that does not use the Cygwin compilers, libraries, linker or related tools. Many users just want the GNU tools or the X11 server or their favorite mail front-end or some other package not otherwise available under Windows.

Do you know how frustrating it is to run through the whole Setup.exe process, carefully check the packages to make sure what you need is included... Just to find out you didn't get make.exe?!
As a human, my life is unending frustration. However, since I always just install all the Cygwin packages, I've dodged that particular frustration projectile.

In Setup.exe, in one of it's dialog windows, why can't you have some kind of "target" checkboxes that will GUARANTEE that the minimum components for your target WILL BE INSTALLED. It needs to be a no-brainer. Sure, it has to be flexible so people can use it for whatever they want...
"Patches gratefully accepted."

Thanks,

Joe Siebenmann
Randall Schulz