Re: About ENV?

John,

I fully understand your example.  And I think it's you who is confused.

The example I provided was intended to illustrate that even though the
environment variable AAA *is* set to "aaa", the echo command *never sees*
that new value, as the sequence '$AAA' is expanded by the *originating
shell*, rather than the echo command itself.  In fact, the echo command is
not even aware it's echoing the value of some environment variable -- all
it sees is the value.  The parts of the example with the single quotes and
invoking another shell illustrated that once you protect the '$' from the
originating shell, the new shell *does* pick up the new value of the
environment variable.

In other words, if you invoke a shell script that internally uses the
value of AAA, it will see the new value.  However, all the echo command
sees is the *value* of AAA, expanded for it by the originating shell,
which expansion happened *before* the assignment was in effect.

A careful reading of the bash man page, particularly the section on
variable substitution, might be helpful here.
	Igor

--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

"Water molecules expand as they grow warmer" (C) Popular Science, Oct'02, p.51