RE: "==" operand not found

Scott Prive wrote:
> 1) Why is ash the default? At least on UNIX systems that use "true"
>    sh -- usually just /bin/bash in /bin/sh compatibility mode

But bash in compatibility mode isn't true Bourne shell. For
instance, /bin/sh on a Solaris box doesn't support the "=="
operator either.

This is a case where ASH is doing the right thing. If you
put #!/bin/sh at the beginning of your script, you should
only use pure Bourne shell commands. You'd do better with
#!/usr/bin/bash instead. Or if bash isn't in /usr/bin on
your Unix boxes, there may be some trick using #!/bin/sh
along with a conditional exec (similar to the trick used
in many Tcl scripts), but I'd have to think about it.

-Jerry Williams