Re: Simplifying Cygwin PosgreSQL Installation

Jason,

Thanks again for the reply.  I think that command line support in
setup.exe is a great idea.  I noticed when browsing through the source
code that there were comments about it.  With command line support
many, if not all of the dialogs could be skipped, and it might make it
possible to install Cygwin as part of other applications when no/slow
internet connections are present.  This would be ideal.  I'd like to
contribute, too, but there are issues:

1. I've never written a line of C/C++ code in my life.  I have no
   notion of pointers, memory allocation, macros or linking.  I've
   never made or applied patches.  The most I've done is type
   "./configure" and "make".  I believe I've heard that C++ has
   something of a nontrivial learning curve---I doubt anyone wants me
   hacking around their C++ code.

2. Currently "./configure" and "make" do not work with the setup.exe
   source package.  I spent a couple hours last week trying to get the
   thing to compile without success, thinking I might just try to hack
   it a bit.  Searching the mailing lists indicated that that perhaps
   I should try with gcc 2.95 and not 3.1, but "mingw"
   support---whatever that is---is necessary and not available as a
   Cygwin package for 2.95, or so it seems.

I don't think I'm the right guy for the job, at least not without a
*lot* of hand-holding.  My guess is that a real Cygwin developer would
prefer just making the fix instead of trying to shepherd me through
the process.  That said, I'd be willing to donate some time to trying
if anyone is interested in said hand-holding.

As a meta-remark regarding your (kind) suggestion that my project be
made a Cygwin package.  I thought about that.  The Cygwin distribution
contains mostly general purpose tools, especially those of interest to
developers and people interacting with *nix.  Our project is written
in Java, and of interest to gas-phase chemical process engineers.  I
don't believe there is a single Java app in Cygwin, is there?  Nor do
there seem to be large packages for specialized audiences like ours.
I'm not sure that Cygwin ever intends to have such packages.

On the other hand, if the Cygwin install process could be streamlined,
its tools could be used by application developers and piggy-backed on
their installations, and a lot more bona fide Cygwin distributions
would be installed.  (Just musing out loud, here.)

Anyway, thanks again,
Glenn Murray
http://www.mines.edu/~gmurray