Re: beginner

I don't know postgress but it looks like you're not using the command properly.

Try

  psql --help
  psql -h
  man psql

and see if it tells you how to use it properly

For a specific question like this it might be better if you send to a sql/postgres specific group.

Or, if you post to this group, make the subject something like:

   Beginner - using Postgres SQL from Cygwin

Sorry I couldn't help any more specifically.

Andrew