Simplifying Cygwin PosgreSQL Installation

We have a project (http://www.mines.edu/research/ccre) for which we
would very much like to use Cygwin PostgreSQL instead of Access.  I'll
call this project "the Workbench".  We are in the process of releasing
this code under the GPL and use PostgreSQL for our Linux version.

Our problem (my responsibility) is in trying to make the Workbench
easy to install and the main barrier to using Cygwin PosgreSQL is that
it is (relatively) difficult to install.  While Cygwin's setup.exe is
a nice piece of work from my point of view, it is too intimidating for
our Windows users, not to mention the additional cygipc installation.

I've thought about hacking setup.exe to provide a simpler interface,
but this is likely to corrupt existing Cygwin installations, or have
upgrades incompatible with the Workbench, etc.

It seems that the best solution would be to provide a self-contained
Cygwin PostgreSQL installation that works independently of a previously
existing installation.  I've played around a little with this in a naive
way, and can get by with just a few files (including cygwin1.dll, of
course) in addition to the PostgreSQL files.  However, postmaster tries to
write a lock file to /tmp and apparently its looking outside of my toy
installation.

Comments or solutions?

Thanks,
Glenn Murray