Re: Invalid arugment and IO Error with bunzip2

On Tue, Oct 22, 2002 at 11:49:16AM -0400, William A. Hoffman wrote:
>My guess is this problem is related to the ntsec stuff as are many
>recent posts.  Someone correct me if I am wrong, but to get cygwin to
>work properly these days I had to do two things:
>
>1.  manually modify the /etc/passwd file mkpasswd -du mywindowslogin >>
>/etc/passwd Where mywindowslogin is the name of the account that you
>log into windows with.
>
>2.  set CYGWIN=nontsec

There is no reason to do both.  If you are not going to use ntsec then
CYGWIN=nontsec should be equivalent to 1.3.12.

I'm amazed at the number of people who have incorrect /etc/passwd files.

>There are many posts of gcc does not work, patch does not work, bz2
>does not work, XXX does not work....  I suspect many of these problems
>are related to not being able to read/write files.
>
>Is there some way that this can be fixed?  If you run setup on a new
>computer right now (or at least two days ago), gcc will not work and
>all files you create
>will be owned by a non-existent user.    Perhaps there should be a warning or a
>FAQ entry, but I would think that the default running of setup should
>create a cygwin that works.

I haven't seen anyone say that running setup on a new computer doesn't work.
It seems to be existing implementations that need tweaking.  I don't know
why.

cgf