problem with setting up tcsh as default shell

hi,

i am having trouble setting tcsh as my default shell. cygwin does not
seem to pick up the settings in the .tcshrc from my $HOME directory.

i started with the default profile and csh.cshrc files that came with
the cygwin download.

i noticed that cygwin seemed to start the bash shell from cygwin.bat. so
i replaced the 'bash...' line with 'tcsh'.

as a matter of course i tried changing the syntax of the profile file to
more
tcsh/csh style as it appeared to be sh style thinking that may be the
problem but to no avail.

i added echo commands to the profile and .tcshrc files to see if they were
being executed but i never see the echo's coming out.

i would appreciate any suggestions you may have.

thanks
dazed and confused

mike