Re: cygwin use report: vexec, UML, off-topic X rave

On Mon, Oct 21, 2002 at 12:55:04PM -0400, lhall@pop.ma.ultranet.com wrote:
>Hi David,
>
>I just wanted to make two comments based on your observations below.
>
>  1. File extensions are already optional on NT-based platforms.
>Originally,
>     Cygwin didn't enforce ".exe" for exectuables.  This was added for 9x/Me
>     support and will likely remain until these systems fall into disuse.

Cygwin doesn't enforce .exe for executables on any platform, AFAIK.  Trying to
run an executable without a .exe on Windows 9x just doesn't work, AFAIK.

Also, Cygwin does handle '#!' shell scripts and it does look at magic numbers
to determine if something is executable, when ntsec is not active.

>  2. Based on the above, it's not clear that there's a big win to "adding
>     resources" to address this limitation for 9x/Me.  However, since this
>     is an open-source project, if volunteers appeared that wanted to pursue
>     this, I expect the list would consider their patches.  That's generally
>     the way the Cygwin project "adds resources".  I know, it's a little
>     different than at work. ;-)

If David had scanned the archives for this mailing list or even just looked at
the last week worth of traffic, he could have spared himself a rant or at least
he could have ranted in the correct forum.

cgf
--
Please do not send me personal email with cygwin questions.
Use the resources at http://cygwin.com/ .