problem with package Base: cygwin 1.3.13-2, 1.3.12-4 works

I can't use "startx" anymore with the new cygwin package on my
Windows 2000 machine.  The problem goes away when I revert to
the previous version.  I totally uninstalled and reinstalled cygwin
(deleting the entire folder) to make sure there was nothing non-standard
about my setup.

What happens is that when I run "startx", which invokes xinit,
I get the gray window with the X cursor that moves around, but nothing
else, and then in the cygwin window, the following messages appear:

: startx

waiting for X server to begin accepting connections .
..
..
( a lot of double dot lines appear )
..
( eventually I click the close box on the Cygwin/XFree86 application)

giving up.
xinit: No such file or directory (errno 2): unable to connect to Xserver
xinit: No such process (errno 3): Server error.

To me it looks like there might be something going on with the
socket connection to the Xserver?  Just a guess, all I know is
that the old version works.

Thanks for looking into this.

-Dave