help installing: no ls command

I downloaded.  Everything seemed to go OK.   When I open the cygwin
window and type type command:

ls

bash:  ls:   command not found

Any idea of what I am missing, how to download, how to install it?

The setup program window where you select what to install also
was very confusing.

On the top row there is
Prev    Cur    Exp

choices.   What do those mean?

To the right of that is View button, and I think I understand what that
does.

Then clicking on things is very confusing.   You see things like
default, uninstall, install, keep,
reinstall.

And sometime you got a n/a  under bin and sometimes a box to put or
remove a x from.
I think default, keep, or install means to install it.

This first time I just used the default.  The second time I went looking
for packages I did not get, such as gcc.   I hit View to get a full
listing and either put an X in the box or clicked to the left of that
and clicked to get something that would let the box appear.