Nethack and Cygwin - Doesn't work yet :) X11 options?

When you changed your make files did you include the
X11 support or take that out?
I have X11 running, works could.
I have the X11 headers, but when I try to compile with
this support it says it can't find them because it
expects them in a different location.  I posted to
Xfree for that.
I wanted to know if yours worked without this, that
would save some pain.
I did have the same exe issues.  I do have the real
binary in nethackdir.  I changed the program name in
the make file to nethack.exe and then the other stuff
worked fine.
I also changed the user to my user and the group None
which worked fine also, then all the chmod parts of
the make install worked fine.
I got the 3.4 release of nethack and am working from
that now, but it hasn't compile yet.
The issue with strncomp was a case problem.  Is lower
case in the standard cygwin library and uppercase
nethack.
I can't put to much more time into this but I think it
would be nice if it worked.
Thanks for the help.

> The nethack binary shouldn't be directly in your
$PATH.  On a standard
> installation it lives in the playground (by default
> /usr/games/nethackdir).  What _should_ be at
/usr/games/nethack is a
> shell script that in turn runs the binary.  When I
installed this a few
> weeks ago, make install bailed out on an inability
to find
> /usr/games/lib/nethackdir/nethack (i.e., without the
.exe tacked on); my
> workaround (probably not the most elegant) was to
make a symlink there
> with the name it was looking for, comment out the rm
-rf line in the
> Makefile that cleans out the existing contents of
the directory, and
> rerun make install.  Runs fine now.
>
> If you don't rerun make install some other critical
things don't get
> installed, IIRC, and nethack behaves pretty much the
way you're
> describing.  If you remember seeing chmod/chown
errors during make
> install (no such file...), and tried to remedy
things by doing it 'by
> hand', odds are this is your problem.
>
> I seem to remember having to install the shell
script by hand too
> (problem with the sed command in the Makefile), but
that might just have
> been part of my blundering effort to fix things.  It
may not be