Re: Moving cygwin discussions to Usenet? (e.g., alt.os.cygwin)

On Mon, Sep 30, 2002 at 08:58:17PM +0200, Lisi wrote:

> >Yes, your question made me wonder if it wouldn't be nice to have a
> >cygwin-unix-questions mailing list, but then it occurred to me that then
> >we'd have endless and indignant discussions of whether something is cygwin
> >or unix-specific.
>
> That's the point of a cygwin-unix list, questions can be either about
> cygwin or unix and still be relevant.

Right!

> Also, a newbie list geared to people not yet weaned off Windows would
> (hopefully!) not elicit unhelpful responses like "of course you're having
> problems, you're still using Winblowz!"  Yes, I know *nix is more stable,
> reliable, and more powerful, that's why I'm learning! But it's just not
> practical for many people to chuck everything they have and start over,
> especially when sharing a computer with someone not very inclined to change.

And more important, the choise between Windows and *nix disapears thanks
to Cygwin. With Cygwin for the first time people can bennefit of the best
of both worlds. I have never bee prepared to 'choose' and was always
looking for something in between. That's why I regret the constant push
of some diehards here towards *Nix. Is just arogance nothing more. At
least it shows a complete unawareness of reality. You will never ever
change a MS-Word user into a VIM or EMAC user. And why would you?

> One additional advantage to a Cygwin-unix-newbie list is that since, as
> Raphael pointed out, "Cygwin is no *nix but a posix implementation to win"
> certain questions may not be answered the same way as they might on a Unix
> list.

Right, whenever you go to a list of one of the packages the first thing
you will here is 'it was not designed to run under windows´. And then
come the specifics like I had in the cron discussion a short while
ago. Would this have been solved on a cron mailinglist. Don't think so.

> Anyway, until such a list is created, I'll just stick with Mark's
> suggestion of prefacing every subject header with a newbie alert, and
> hopefully keep peace on the list!!  :)

I second that and will start to do the same. Please be aware that I have
the resources to start a list myself. I will not do this becouse I think
it deserves a better chance through cygwin.com.

--
Better dead than mellow.