Re: Lost /bin/latex?

Igor,

At 17:07 2002-09-25, you wrote:
This is probably due to the fact that usr/bin/readlink.exe and
usr/man/man1/readlink.1 were included (erroneously, I guess) in the
tetex-bin-20020530-3 distribution, instead of listing a dependency on
cygutils.  The new distrib corrects that problem, but uninstalling the old
one resulted in losing readlink.  As this is not something that can be
fixed in the tetex package, people will probably just have to reinstall
cygutils.
All well and good (and now that you mention it, I think I remember reading about this glitch a while back), but doesn't that create a bit of a catch-22 for the tetex post-install script when it attempts to invoke readlink? How is it possible to get that to run correctly? Must I reinstall cygutils (obviously yes) and then also reinstall tetex?

Well, I tried that, and to the best of my ability to scan the stuff whizzing by in the post-install script's window, the diagnostic about a missing readlink did not appear. It seems that the overall impression of the post-install activity as it flashed before my eyes was rather different than what I remember from upgrading tetex earlier today. I wonder how critical that readlink is to the overall activity and success of the tetex post-install script(s)?

All's well that ends... I guess.

Randall Schulz
Mountain View, CA USA

For the future, it would probably be a good idea to have the output of the
postinstall scripts logged somewhere (setup.log.full?). Is setup.exe
responsible for running the scripts?

Also, for the package builder, it might be nice to get a warning if there
are file clashes in some packages. This is probably more of a
challenge...
Igor