Re: Promoting rxvt (non-X11)

Thomas,

I don't know much about readline, but Vi (and Vim) themselves don't respond to an escape immediately (as a command terminator or cancellation or a mode terminator). Rather, those applications require a timeout before taking the action associated with a single excape. Only if no other characters arrive before that timeout is the escape seen as an isolated input character. That way sequences that begin with escape are not incompatible with Vi's and Vim's use of a single escape to terminate or cancel a command or a mode.

Whether this applies to readline or not I don't know, but it does seem like an obvious oversight if it doesn't work this way.

Randall Schulz
Mountain View, CA USA

At 00:34 2002-09-24, Thomas Mellman wrote:
> I also have a file in my home directory called .inputrc which
> is used to configure the key used by bash, ftp, and some other
> programs, I use the following entries (literal text) which mean
> I can use the delete key as well as the backspace key, and other
> keys, try it and see

Am I correct in assuming you use the emacs-mode, not the vi-mode, of bash?

I'd love to use .inputrc, but it seems that it's basically incompatible with
vi-mode, because "escape-sequences" all begin with escape, and in
vi-mode, the escape key switches to command mode.

Somebody please tell me I'm wrong, and I've just always configured it wrong.