RE: cygwin mutt and maildir

At 07:17 PM 9/17/2002 -0500, Gary R. Van Sickle wrote:
>The only way I can think this could be solved is through a method something like
>how Rob's handling setup's local cache dir naming scheme, i.e. escaping
>Windows-invalid characters with URLesque "%xx"'s.  And that would pretty much
>have to be in the cygwin file stuff so that every MUA/MDA/whatever spoke the
>same maildir language.

Gary, the escape character for the tag is ":". Having Cygwin escape it would
also destroy the "File Streams" Windows feature that Cygwin supports on
NTFS (see below).

There are not that many mail programs ported to Cygwin. The maintainers could
agree on a different escape character.
Exim does support maildir, the tag is optional and the escape character is
dynamically configurable. It must be a printable, non-alphanumeric,
valid-in-filenames character. That leaves enough reasonable possibilities...

Pierre

*********************************
File Streams on NTFS

> echo hello > hhww:hh
> echo world > hhww:ww
> ls -l
total 0
-rwxrwxrwx    1 PHumblet Domain U        0 Sep 20 16:01 hhww*
> ls -l hhww:ww
-rw-r--r--    1 PHumblet Domain U        6 Sep 20 16:01 hhww:ww
> cat hhww:hh
hello
> rm hhww:hh
> cat hhww:ww