Re: Curious behavior of CYGSERVER

Once upon a time,  David A. Cobb wrote:

Conrad Scott wrote:

As for your other point about stdout redirection problems when running
cygserver, I find it hard to see how this has anything to do with
cygserver especially since you say the redirection file doesn't even get
created.  The file is created by the shell itself and for this not to
happen indicates that something wierd and wonderful is happening.

Hypothesis: the stdout /is/ written, however for whatever reason it isn't being properly closed. Thus it never gets a good directory entry. I haven't run the disk scan in a while. HOLD ON. . . . . Well, no lost chains or other filesystem faults, anyway. It appears only to happen if the redirected file is pretty large -- this would match Nicholas's experience. If I do a "normal" experiment with a real small stdout ( echo "`date`" ) the file IS created and correct. If I do a configure or make that would be expected to generate a very LARGE file -- nope! no file. And it's obvious that if NO redirection worked, configure and make would suffer a very early demise.

Just the kind of error I especially hate. What's happening is clearly important.
Late at night! *s/important/impossible/* What's happening is clearly impossible, but that's what I seem to be seeing.
--

David A. Cobb, Software Engineer, Public Access Advocate
"By God's Grace I am a Christian man, by my actions a great sinner." -- The Way of a Pilgrim; R. M. French, tr.