Re: Crontab problems

--- Raphael <raphael@oninet.pt> wrote:
 > Great but without any C knowledge I wouldn't even know where to
> start. I'm
> wondering, if Corinne is reading this, if the patch might not be
> standarized
> for Cygwin considering the interchangability between Cygwin and
> Windows.
> Ofcourse only if there is really no security issue.
>
> > Boy, I get to quote the source a lot these days...  Not that I'm
> > complaining or anything... :-D

> I'm sure everyone is very greatfull for you sharing this
> information. It's
> considarably more informative than a blunt ŽUse vi.exeŽ some people
> try
> to kill a thread with. Thank you very much.

Paul Vixie last released cron in freakin' 1994 (or thereabouts)!  Not
much has been done to modify it since then.  I'm sure his design was
quite appropriate at the time, when the thought of using a gui editor
to edit cron jobs was unheard of.  The point is: why make life
difficult for yourself?  If you want a lazy editor, use nano or pico
for crying out loud!  They're so easy my grandmother could use them.
Trying to use Windows NotePad, which introduces the whole \r\n deal,
is friggin' crazy!  Why should Corinna, or anyone else for that
matter, patch the *working* cron sources just for *you* when there
are perfectly good tools already available?  I'm sorry my friend, but
this isn't Burger King, where you can have it your way right away.  I
applaud Igor for being generous and doing the research for you, but I
don't think you should expect it every time.  I think you read too
much into "use vi".  It was simply providing a sensible alternative
to Windows NotePad which provides the same functionality without the
need for modifing *working* sources.  If that doesn't suit you,
TextPad looks like a viable alternative...

Cheers,
Nicholas