Re: Curious behavior of CYGSERVER

On Sun, 2002-09-15 at 11:43, David A. Cobb wrote:
> I discussed above (http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2002-09/msg00302.html) my
> problems attempting to do a bootstrap of gcc-3.2.   One experiment
> involved firing up CYGSERVER.  As mentioned in the previous thread, the
> program went much much much further this way -- make check took about 13
> hours!
>
> In the process, I notice two unexpected behaviors.  The CYGSERVER emits
> dots (.) on the screen every little while - perhaps it emits one
> everytime it gets called.  This isn't bad -- it makes a handy pulse to
> be sure the machine hasn't just frozen up.  Three screenshots are
> attached fro the make  check run.

Thats what it is, simply some feedback. When cygserver starts to provide
significant functionality, that may get removed. Or at least that was my
plan before I handed it over to Conrad.

> What is really bad is that somehow, having CYGSERVER involved defeats
> the stdout redirection.  For example, the make check not only ran for 13
> hours, but it also gave me very little clue as to its success or failure.

That is very unexpected. The HEAD code for cygserver supported normal
and tty operation without any regressions from having cygserver not
running, when I merged it.

Are you sure that that is the cause?

Rob