Re: [BUG] Intermittant error referencing memory @0x00000010

ERIC KRAUSE (ekraus02) wrote:

David A. Cobb writes:

On 09/07/2002, David A. Cobb wrote:

Trying to do a bootstrap build of gcc-3.2-1, first cat.exe signalled
'cat.exe the instruction at 0x077f8ed61 referenced memory at
0x0000010. The memory could not be "written"'
followed by "Application failed to initialize (0xC0000142)"

0xC0000142 looks like a Windows exception code. Keep in mind on Win9x
you'll get the infamous page fault error and no Application failed to
initialize msg.

Retry, got the same error but in "sh.exe instruction at 0x77f8ed61" --
HEY! that's strange - the same instruction address.
must be in a dll, yes?

Correct.  Apps don't have such high addresses, for future reference--they're
normally based at 0x400000 (so they can run on Windows 9x).

objdump on cygwin1.dll shows me one DLL dependency: kernel32.dll.  objdump
on kernel32 shows base is 0x77e80000.  But objdump on kernel32.dll also
shows it depends upon ntdll.dll.  objdump on ntdll.dll shows base is
0x77f80000, and has no DLL dependencies.  The code triggering the crash is
inside ntdll.dll.

Since kernel32.dll and ntdll.dll are *likely* OK (you never know M$, though,
but let's assume their code is kosher anyhow), AND considering that 3
SEPARATE .exe's caused the SAME problem, it looks like the only suspect left
is cygwin1.dll.

Are you using the latest Cygwin DLL version?  You can find out just what
that version number is from the output of "uname -a"; it's right after your
hostname.

---
Eric R. Krause

Thanks, Eric.
Uname: CYGWIN_NT 5.0 .... 1.3.12 (0.54.3.2) 2002-07-06 02:16
Complete CYGCHECK output appended (.zip)

Another datapoint: I tried firing up CYGSERVER and doing the make. Aha! It ran to completion -- still errors of some sort but none of the Win exceptions.
That introduced other troubles, I'll post that later and try to keep this thread focused.
The other thing was terminating all the many aps I have in the system tray ( except ZA and my antivirus ) and then keeping my hands off while it ran so nothing was perturbing the memory allocations.
Having CYGSERVER change things so completely makes me suspect that IPC is related to the problem -- I don't know what else changes when the server is active; also watching a ProcessExplorer display shows the server IPC resources very very active.

--
David A. Cobb, Software Engineer, Public Access Advocate
"By God's Grace I am a Christian man, by my actions a great sinner." -- The Way of a Pilgrim; R. M. French, tr.