RE: (setup.ini) autoconf requires Perl?

> From: Patrick J. LoPresti [mailto:patl@curl.com]
> Subject: Re: (setup.ini) autoconf requires Perl?
> Heuristics are often a poor design.  The author of the Perl code knows
> which version she wants; she should have a way to specify it.
>
> "perl" vs. "perl.exe" is not a perfect solution, but it is at least as
> good as any of the others I have seen.
 /proc/registry/HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Perl/BinDir contains the path to
ActiveState Perl
(/proc/registry/HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/ActiveState/ActivePerl also
points to it indirectly)
 Somebody more industrious than I could write a script to invoke it.
 Once you find yourself in perl,  $^O  returns "MSWin32" for ActivePerl and
"cygwin" for guess what.