Re: printing from within Cygwin

On Fri, Sep 06, 2002 at 10:28:20AM -0700, Nicholas Wourms wrote:

> --- Dario Alcocer <alcocer@helixdigital.com> wrote:

> > ghostscript
> > >
> > > The GhostScript that comes with Cygwin is built without any of
> > the
> > > Windows extensions (the mswin* devices, the Windows console (that
> > pops
> > > up if you type "gswin32" in the native Windows distribution),
> > ...).
> > >
> > > I wonder if it's possible to build the Cygwin gs with these
> > extensions?
> > > Or at least the Windows devices?  There are the "mswindll",
> > "mswinprn"
> > > and "mswinpr2" devices, and the "display" device for the Windows
> > native
> > > display (the one that "gswin32" pops up).
> >
> > Yes, it's definitely doable; it's on my long list of "to-do" items.
> > As soon as I have more "free time" I'll do it.
>
> Please don't do this, I'd rather have gs act like gs does in unix.
> Having it act like the win32 version defeats the whole purpose.  If
> he wants a win32 version, why doesn't he just use the win32 version.
> What happens if we get a full lpd which accesses the parallel port
> via a dev point?  I'm sure there are other examples, but again if you
> want a win32 version go get the win32 version and add it to your
> PATH.

There are two version of gs: one is a "native" Cygwin app (which
ultimately is a Win32 console app) and the other is an X11
Cygwin-XFree86 version.  The X11 version includes support for an
X11 preview window.  This version would not be supplanted or replaced
in any way.

What I was referring to was adding support for Win32 GUI preview
window that could be used with the Cygwin native app.  This would
involve adding the mswindll, mswinprn, mswinprn2 and display drivers
to the non-X11 version.  This would allow non-X11 users to preview
Postscript files.

Again, when I get some spare cycles, I'll do it.

--
Dario Alcocer -- Sr. Software Developer, Helix Digital Inc.
alcocer@helixdigital.com -- http://www.helixdigital.com