Re: Cygwin on FAT16 is very huge !

Previous replies have noted the reason for the disparity in disk
space usage.  It was also correctly pointed out that FAT32 is a
better choice on W98.

To add, FYI, FAT16 partitions are limited to 65,525 clusters, so the
cluster size is roughly the partition size divided by 64k.  On a partition
from 1 to just slightly less that 2GB, that gives 32k / cluster.  Go to a
full 2GB or greater and you're going to have 64k clusters (like anyone
would want to do that ;).  This MS article explains FAT16 cluster size:

   <http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q67321>

A windows tool, Treesize, can tell you the actual amount of wasted
space.  There's a free version of treesize available at

    <http://www.jam-software.com/software.shtml>

It's a useful compliment to du and df.

Regards,
Doug Wyatt