Aspell Installation problem - ./config crashes windows (under cygwin)

Preamble: I am trying to install IMP/Horde on windows (Win98 SE2). This
calls for Aspell.

... I install cygwin, gcc and so on.

I run

$./configure --prefix=/cygdrive/d/Aspell --bindir=/cygdrive/d/Aspell --enabl
-win32-relocatable --with-gnu-ld

... and windows gives me the blue screen after

configure:4738: checking the maximum length of command line arguments

I wrote a script to test the commandline length and it crashed at 1k, so I
forced this to be 512, and it now gives up at

configure:6743: checking dynamic linker characteristics

Do I have a duff configuration, or have I failed to download something.

I would appreciate some simple advice from anyone who has experienced this
before, and if the solution is not simple, whether to give up, or to try
something else. I've already tried MinGW.

Regards
- Roger C Haslock -