Re: poll function in cygwin

On Wed, Aug 28, 2002 at 11:58:20AM +1000, Robert Collins wrote:

>> >Ahem, no, you're right.
>>
>> Actually, it isn't that simple.  It depends on what you are waiting
>> for.  For instance, if you are waiting for pipes, you can wait for
>> an unlimited number of them.  If you ware waiting for sockets, I think
>> that is also true.  If you are waiting for console handles, then yes,
>> 64 is the maximum.
>
>According to MSDN, Egor is right. I wouldn't be surprised if MS allowed
>more 'silently' on new OS's though..

I was not asserting that WaitForMultipleObjects could wait for >64
handles.  I was saying that cygwin's select() can do so.

If you look at the code you might be able to see why this is so.  It's
not really worth debating however.  I just chimed in as the author of
the select code to make it clear that the issue isn't as simple as
saying that "Cygwin's select can only deal with 64 fds".  In most cases
it can handle many more than that.

cgf
(who will now probably get a lot of private email from people with select
"problems")