Re: SmartList and exim

On Mon, 26 Aug 2002, Jason Tishler wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 25, 2002 at 06:23:37PM +0800, Greg Matheson wrote:
> > I couldn't get [Smartlist] to build with root privileges over
> > procmail. The problems with Administrator, understanding
> > setuid, geteuid, and the install scripts were too much for
> > me.

> I don't grok the above -- please try again.  BTW, to setuid it is best
> to run under the LocalSystem account.

Running the install script for Smartlist from an unprivileged
account builds executables which don't setuid root, I think. The
problem of understanding what the scripts were doing were among
things which prevented me from getting it to build from the
Administrator account.

There is only one important C program in the package, multigram.c. The
rest is shell scripts and procmail rc files.

Smartlist is only at version 3.15, but procmail is 3.22. You have
to take multigram, hsort.c and gethome.c from procmail-3.15 and
stick them in procmail-3.22/src.

> Have you seen the following thread?

>     http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2002-08/msg00195.html

Oh. I vote for getting out a bare-bones version quickly, which
does little more than what ssmtp and fetchmail can do now and
taking it from there. Things like perl, SQL and ssl can be added
later.

Philip Hazel mentions cygwin on the first page of the exim
manual, although there is no information about setting exim up on
cygwin in the manual itself. He appears more interested in
getting it going on systems running Windows than Philip Guenther
is in procmail's fate on Windows.

--
Greg Matheson                    Rather than do things right,
Chinmin College                  Do the right thing.

Taiwan Penpals Archive <URL: http://netcity.hinet.net/kurage>