Setting PS1 in ~/.bashrc

Hello.

Sorry for the naive question, but I am not being able to override the default PS1 value set in /etc/profile. I tried searching the Web to find information on this and I read in several places that one should make changes in their own ~/.bashrc file. However, after I created this file and put my "export PS1" command in it, Cygwin still launches and makes use of the definition found in /etc/profile. I have discovered, however, that if I start a new instance of bash, my definition is taken into account.

I am sure I am the one missing something. I would be glad to know what it is.

Thank you,

--
Ney André de Mello Zunino
Media and Technology Laboratory