Re: Why does ls command sometimes case sensitively misbehave?

>On Thu, 15 Aug 2002, Geoffrey Scheller wrote:
>
>> Why is ls doing this?  Other commands, like vi, also show
>> this behavior:
>>
>>     $ touch foo
>>
>>     $ ls
>>     foo
>>
>>     $ ls foo
>>     foo
>>
>>     $ ls FoO
>>     FoO
>>
>>     $ ls fo*
>>     foo
>>
>>     $ ls Fo*
>>     ls: Fo*: No such file or directory
>>
>> $ bash --version
>> GNU bash, version 2.05b.0(2)-release (i686-pc-cygwin)
>> Copyright (C) 2002 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
>>
>> Cygwin DLL version 1.3.12-2
>>
>> I run Cygwin on Windows XP Professional.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Geoffrey
>
>What you're seeing is the behavior of the shell's filename globbing, not
>of ls or vi.  What is the value of your CYGWIN environment variable?  Does
>it contain "check_case:<smth>"?  Does it contain "glob" or "noglob"
>(although that, IIRC, is only for command shell windows)?  What are the
>options of bash itself (`set | grep SHELLOPTS`)?
 >    Igor

$ shopt nocaseglob
nocaseglob      off

At first that is what I thought, but

    $ ls
    foo

    $ ls 'Foo'
    Foo

I think shell globbing is OK.

    $ echo 'FoO' fo* FoO*
    FoO foo FoO*

Problem still there whether or not I have turned on case sensitive globbing.
    $ shopt -s nocaseglob

    $ echo 'FoO' fo* FoO*
    FoO foo foo

    $ ls FoO