RE: Fonts & rxvt (again!)

Mark Sheppard wrote:

> > to the left and right of each character typed.  For example,
> > if I type  	$ ls -Fla
> > it looks something like 	$ |l|s| |-|F|l|a|

> Under XP you do this:
>
>    Control Panel -> Display -> Appearance -> Effects...
>
> then set "Use the following method to smooth edges of screen fonts"
> to "Standard" rather than "Clear Type".  I've not seen this problem
> occur under 2000.

Very interesting.  You hit it right on the nose.

Even though I'm using a Thinkpad laptop, I do so 99% of the time with it
in the docking station connected through a KVM to a 19" Sony monitor and
external keyboard and mouse.  What's interesting is (probably has
something to do with the ATI drivers) that Cleartype-enabled looks
better on the external CRT than Standard!  This is not true of my other
desktop (which looks better Standard-enabled as one would expect).

/Jelks