Re: Starting Apache for Cygwin as a service

Dylan Cuthbert wrote:

I don't remember having to create another user and assign different rights.

I just ran Invoker pointing to the apache executable.

It was really easy.
Still doesn't solve the "net stop Apache" problem though.

---------------------------------
Q-Games, Dylan Cuthbert.
http://www.q-games.com
P2P internet radio - http://www.peercast.org

"Andrew DeFaria" <ADeFaria@Salira.com> wrote in message
3D52FE7B.9040203@Salira.com">news:3D52FE7B.9040203@Salira.com...

Dylan Cuthbert wrote:

I had this problem too.

It is caused by apache forking itself and killing its parent, ie. the
original task the service manager starts up, then the service manager
thinks that apache has aborted and reports the error, and closes down
the entire process.

At least to my understanding it is *something* like that.
Yes. I also had this problem with exim when using cygrunsrv. With exim
there was a parameter that I could use to tell it run in a more "normal"
daemon mode. However with Apache there is no such parameter, hence the
question.

The way to get around this problem is to use a tool called Invoker.exe
that wraps this kind of linux-like daemon behaviour, the instructions
are here http://www.student.uni-koeln.de/cygwin/Howto/NT-service/
Using this invoker, having to create another user and assign it special
rights, etc, seems like a real bother especially when even this solution
doesn't solve the "net stop apache" problem.

Regards

---------------------------------
Q-Games, Dylan Cuthbert.
http://www.q-games.com
P2P internet radio - http://www.peercast.org

"Andrew DeFaria" <ADeFaria@Salira.com> wrote in message
3D519F95.8080908@Salira.com">news:3D519F95.8080908@Salira.com...

What is the correct way to start Apache for Cygwin as a Windows

service?

According to http://httpd.apache.org/docs/cygwin.html it should be as
simple as:

$ cygrunsrv -I Apache -p /usr/sbin/httpd

(Note that page says

$ cygrunsrv -I service_name-p /usr/local/apache/bin/httpd.exe [-a
arguments] \

[-e VAR=VALUE] [-t auto|manual] [-u user] [-w passwd]

However there is no /usr/local/apache/httpd but there is a
/usr/sbin/httpd)

When I install the service this way and attempt to start it via
cygrunsrv -S Apache I get the following:

cygrunsrv: Error starting a service: QueryServiceStatus: Win32 error
1062:

The service has not been started.

Yet there are httpd processes started. Additionally the Apache service
in Windows Services applet does not show as Started thus cannot be
stopped. Further a cygrunsrv -E Apache does not stop the httpd's but
apachectl stop will stop them. Two cygrunsrv -S Apache will result in
multiple httpd threads being started and an apachectl stop will only
stop one of the threads.

Starting the service the "Windows" way via the Services applet will
yield:

The Apache service on Local Computer started and then stopped. Some
services stop automatically if they have no work to do, for example,
the Performance Logs and Alerts service.

And, again, the service is not listed as started thus not stoppable via
the Services applet.

So what is the appropriate cygrunsrv command to install Apache for
Cygwin as a Windows service?