Re: Program Options vs. cygwin env problem

On Thu, Aug 08, 2002 at 09:05:21PM -0700, Stephen C. Biggs wrote:
>On 8 Aug 2002 at 23:23, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>>On Thu, Aug 08, 2002 at 10:18:45PM -0400, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
>>>Warning: WAG.  I may be completely off the mark here, but I think I
>>>recall reading that the cygwin dll only reads the system environment
>>>once upon startup, and that to have any changes in the environment take
>>>effect you need to reboot to force a reload of the cygwin dll.  Could
>>>the same apply to the registry value?
>>
>>Both the CYGWIN environment variable and registry options are read at
>>process startup time.
>
>Then why would the CYGWIN environment variable be different from the
>registry options, actually being the same as the first time I set the
>options!

I really don't know what you are asking or what you think your problem
is.

Oh what the heck.  Let me take a stab at it.  Maybe you set Program
Options/default to something and then ran cygcheck in a bash shell and
saw that the 'notitle' in the Program Options was translated to a
'title' and the ordering was different.  Maybe you assumed (although you
don't make this clear) that this was because you'd previously used a
'title' in the options.

Or, maybe you are unclear about the interaction between the CYGWIN
environment variable and Program Options.  If you have both set who has
precedence?  I actually don't know how they interact.  I suspect that
the CYGWIN variable has precedence, even when the CYGWIN environment
variable is established by the use of "export".

I previously mentioned that there was a bug, then posted that I'd fixed
it.  This was the fact that your use of 'notitle' was (possibly) being
translated to 'title'.  This is now fixed.

On the other hand, if you are expecting that, when you use "export", the
order of the options in the CYGWIN environment variable will be exactly
the same as found in the registry, your expectations are wrong.

I don't remember if I actually suggested this but there is no reason to
use the export option with the default setting in Program Options.  And,
there is certainly no reason to use the 'export' option in the CYGWIN
environment variable itself (as set from the command prompt) unless you
are interested in making your program run slightly slower.

Oh, and it looks like you are actually setting cygwin values on the
(Default) part of a registry entry.  This is just an entry that Windows
corrects.  It is not what Cygwin reads.  You have to actually *create*
an entry called "default" (lowercase without the parentheses).  Maybe
this is your whole problem.

Anyway, assuming you are talking about the problem with "nofoo" being
translated to "foo" then I previously suggested that you try a snapshot.
If you don't want to do that then wait until 1.3.14.

Maybe now I'm really understanding why this is an undocumented feature.

cgf
--
Please do not send me personal email with cygwin questions.
Use the resources at http://cygwin.com/ .