Re: rsync across SMB using NT

Brown, Wes (GEL, MSX) wrote:

Lapo,

First, please excuse the use of M$ Outlook.  I hope that this message will
not be so mangled that you can not read it.

The problem is not with rsync itself but in the way cygwin maps windows paths to posix paths, if I remember well UNC paths aren't supported at all.

Related message (with no reply):

From the manual, related but I think outdated:
http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using.html#AEN464

Second, I do not know if you are the person that would be interested in the
problem. I am a Un*x administrator that has been pushed into supporting a
few applications on NT while the developers move onto the Solaris systems.

To make a long story short, I looked a using rsync much the way I would on
my Un*x systems. I need to copy web content from the QA environment to the
production environment. I would like to do this from cron without the use
of mapping a drive. So I tried the following command:

rsync -vr --perms --stats --progress //nelinalige/webprod/survey .
The system I ran this on was my workstation with cygwin. I do not know
exactly how to tell what version of cygwin I have, but I just ran the update
a little while ago and had it update everything.

I have attached the strace output of the command shown above. Thank you for
any assistance that you may be able to provide.

Wes

rsync version 2.5.5 protocol version 26
Copyright (C) 1996-2002 by Andrew Tridgell and others
<http://rsync.samba.org/>
Capabilities: 32-bit files, socketpairs, hard links, symlinks, batchfiles,
no IPv6, 32-bit system inums, 64-bit internal inums

<<strace.out>>

--
Lapo 'Raist' Luchini
lapo@lapo.it (PGP & X.509 keys available)